Friday, July 11, 2014

Bojan Tokic (Slovenia)


What better way to spend a Friday evening than train with a world top 50 table tennis star!

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky to be part of a training clinic run by Bojan Tokic (ITTF ranked #46 in the world) at Westchester Table Tennis Center, Pleasantville, NY. Bojan was accompanied by his father and coach, Miroslav Tokic, his physical preparation coach, Dr. Miran Kondric, and his girlfriend, Monika Molnar (ranked #169 in the world for women).

********************
Table Tennis Star Bojan Tokic
With Bojan Tokic of Slovenia (ITTF-ranked #46 in the world)


Table Tennis Star Bojan Tokic at the Westchester Table Tennis Center
With other members of Bojan Tokic's Training Clinic at Westchester Table Tennis Center
Photo: WTTC

I started the 90 minute clinic by hitting with Bojan. After we warmed up, I moved to the next table. Miroslav Tokic conducted various multi ball drills. Next, I moved to Dr. Miran Kondric's table. Dr. Kondric emphasized the importance of using the lower body, instead of just the arm. He explained that not using the lower body would eventually lead to a shoulder injury as a result of overuse and strain. Lastly, I did some looping practice with Monika Molnar. I ended the clinic at Bojan's table, where we played out several points.

It was the most amazing table tennis experience I've ever had. To watch some action from the clinic, visit my youtube channel.

I also had the opportunity to interview Bojan Tokic. Enjoy!

1. How and when did you get introduced to table tennis?
My father introduced me to the sport at the age of 5 or 6.

2. Is there one person who played a key role in your table tennis career?
My father. He was a national coach for the women's team in ex-Yugoslavia. He was the coach in the club where I started to play.

3. Did you play any other sport as a child?
Not really, but as a child I played a lot of street sports such as football (soccer).

4. Is there one table tennis match that you remember the most?
Everybody remembers me for the match against Ma Long*. This was the highlight of my career, even though I lost. People remember me for not whom I beat, but how I played against them.
* Bojan is referring to his match against Ma Long in Round of 64s at the 2011 World Table Tennis Championships in Rotterdam.

5. What do you think is the key skill for a table tennis player?
This question is very hard. I think everything must become one together.

6. Do you have any tips for rising junior players?
I was never a good junior player. From my experience I can say that it doesn't matter if things don't work for you as a junior. In your adult years, you can still become a very good player.

7. What type of training do you do to stay in shape for table tennis?
We practice a lot - table tennis and exercises. We do exercises daily - 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. When we have matches, we don't do so much, but otherwise in the preparation session we do 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon.

8. If you didn't play table tennis, what do you think you would be doing?
Good question. I've asked myself that question many times, but I have no idea.

9. Do you do any mental conditioning before you play a tough match like with Ma Long?
Not really before matches, but I have a mental coach who helps me before important competitions. It is much easier to play Ma Long where you have nothing to lose than when you are the favorite player.

********************

There you have it, right from Bojan Tokic himself!