Monday, January 4, 2016

Yunhao (Kaden) Xu (China)

The Lily Yip Table Tennis Center (LYTTC) has produced great table tennis athletes for several years now. As part of their commitment to junior athletes, LYTTC has brought in training partners from all over the world, the newest being 16 year old Yunhao (Kaden) Xu from Zhejiang, Hangzhou, China.

Kaden came to the U.S. in early November 2015 because he wanted more experience outside of China. According to Kaden, "I have barely been outside of my country and I wanted to try something new. I am enjoying my experience so far. The people here at LYTTC are really nice and I like it!"

I had the opportunity to ask Kaden a few questions during my recent visit to LYTTC. I hope you enjoy getting to know Kaden Xu!

Quick facts about Yunhao (Kaden) Xu:
2014 Chinese National Cadet Team Championships Top Four
2012 Chinese National U-14 Singles Champion
2011 Chinese Southern Regional Teams and Singles Champion
Three-time Chinese National U-15 Singles Runner-Up (2009 - 2011)

********************
Yunhao (Kaden) Xu
Photo: Glen Randmer
With Kaden Xu at Lily Yip Table Tennis Center, NJ

1. Tell us about how you got started with table tennis.
I started playing table tennis in 2006, so it's been almost ten years! My father sent me to a table tennis school to learn when I was very young. Then, in 2012, I was selected to play for the Zhejiang Provincial Team. I have been on the team ever since. 

2. What equipment do you currently use?

Blade: Viscaria
Forehand rubber: Hurricane
Backhand rubber: Tenergy 05

3. What are your goals with regards to table tennis?

I hope to one day become both the U.S. and the Chinese National Champion. 
   
4. Do you prefer to coach or play?

Coaching is one of my newfound passions, but I am still working towards becoming a better player at the same time.

5. I believe you recently coached Jayden Zhou (10 & Under Boys Champion) and Tina Lin (Junior Girls Champion) at the recent U.S. Nationals. How was that experience? Was it tough coaching them since you've only known them for a short period of time?
It was great coaching Jayden and Tina, especially when they won because there was a deep feeling of satisfaction knowing that I gave my time and energy to help them and that they were able to succeed. Although it was tiring, the experience was still very good for me, and I was very happy with the way things turned out. It wasn’t difficult to coach them because they are both very driven and hardworking and have a strong urge to win. I may have only known them for a short period of time, but I got to know them pretty quickly since I was able to train and coach them many times before the Nationals.

6. Do you think that anyone can become a great player with the right amount of hard work, or does one need some innate talent?
Talent does play a part in becoming a great player, but one needs dedication and hard work more than anything else. If one possesses those qualities, I believe that anyone can succeed.

7. Who is your favorite international table tennis player? Why?
Zhang Jike, definitely. I like that he has a strong personality, but I also admire his footwork and physical strength, especially in the legs.

8. I've seen you play at Westchester TTC. Many players including myself admire your ability to play consecutive strong forehands from all over the table. Is it because of your excellent footwork, or something else? How can other players develop this ability?
First of all, every person should try to develop their own strengths. My strength is my forehand, and my opponents are very wary of it. Ever since I was very young, I put in a lot of training to develop my forehand technique. While the right technique is important, physical conditioning and footwork are also very important factors that everyone should work to develop.

9. Do you talk to yourself between points? If so, what does it sound like?
Of course! I try to motivate myself and remind myself to never give up.

10. Some players have a tough time switching personalities on and off the table. The nice guys don't always fight for each point. Any advice on how to switch gears?
You just really have to concentrate and get into the match. Once you are on the table, you cannot let anything distract you; sometimes you just have to remind yourself about the importance of a match. Also, before you play, pep talk can actually get you a long way!

11. What physical training do you do to stay fit and competitive? How often?
My exercises target the whole body, but specifically the core. They also include training for explosive energy, movement, and strokes. If possible, try to do exercises every day.

12. Is there any other sport besides table tennis that you enjoy?
When I have free time, I like to play soccer.

13. What do you like to do in your free time?
I love listening to music, especially Jay Chou and Wang Lee Hom, because it is very relaxing. I also really like playing the guitar, but unfortunately, I am not very good at it.

14. Anything else that you would like to add?
Wow, I don’t know where to start. Over these last few years, I have developed so much passion for table tennis. This sport makes me so happy, and if one day I ever leave it, I will feel like I’m missing a part of myself. I am so thankful to everyone who has helped me because I know that without their support and tough love, I definitely would not have made it this far. However, not everything in table tennis is about competition. I am not really focused on winning, but more on just trying to make the journey as great as possible and to cherish every moment. I don’t want to have any regrets once it’s over.

********************

Kaden, thanks for your time and for hitting with me! Also, thanks to Jessica Young for translating. Lastly, here's a short clip of Kaden blasting fast, powerful loops at me. Enjoy!