Monday, March 7, 2016

Wei Wang (China)

He may be old by table tennis standards, but 32 year old chopper Wei Wang has still got it! I saw Wei play up and close during his recent visit to Westchester TTC in November 2015. Wei's heavy, deceiving chops and powerful attacks were too much for the competition, and Wei took home the Open Singles title.

Born in Henan, China, Wei has over two decades of experience as a professional table tennis athlete. A former member of the Henan Provincial team, Wei also played in China's elite Second League. Wei's experience is not just limited to China. He has played in the Spanish First League along side Sharath Achanta Kamal, Andrew Baggaley, and many other phenomenal players. In 2010, Wei came to the U.S. for the first time after he was invited to play in the Joola North American Teams Championships. He subsequently returned to the U.S. in 2011, 2014, and 2015, taking home many titles each time.

I had the opportunity to ask Wei a few questions. I hope you enjoy getting to know him!

Quick facts about Wei Wang:
Highest world ranking #78
Highest USATT rating 2815
Former #1 player in Spain
Spanish First League (2006 - 2009)
Former Henan Provincial Team Member 

********************
Wei Wang (Former World #78 and Spain's #1)
Photo: Glen Randmer
With Wei Wang at the 2015 Joola North American Teams Championships

1. Tell us how you got started with table tennis. 
When I was young, I got sick very easily. For this reason, my parents asked me to play table tennis to improve my health. I was six years old when I first started. By the age of 10, I was selected into the City Sport School and eventually, I was selected into the Henan Provincial Professional Table Tennis Team since I was the Junior Champion of that year. And this is how I began my career as professional table tennis athlete.

2. What equipment do you currently use?
Blade: -
Forehand rubber: DHS Hurricane 3
Backhand rubber: TSP Short Pips

3. How often do you play and train? 
I train 5 days a week.

4. What are your goals with regards to table tennis?
I have always wanted to participate in the Olympics.

5. What do you like about chopping? Have you always been one? 
I love being a chopper because it requires a lot of patience and that's me. I started off as an attacker. However, after a few months, my coach asked me to switch to chopping and so I did.

6. Did you face any particular challenge as a rising table tennis player, and how did you overcome that?
Yes, I faced many challenges during my table tennis career. There were times when I just wanted to put down my blade and walk away.  But the love for the game was too much and I was always drawn back in.

7. From what you've seen, how is the training different in the U.S. compared to China? Which style do you prefer and why?
In the U.S., table tennis players have to support themselves, but in China, we are supported by the country. Also, we receive more professional training there compared to here in the U.S. For these reasons, is it easier to be a professional table tennis athlete in China.

8. Honors and achievements that you are most proud of:
I was world ranked #78 and the #1 ranked player in Spain. In 2014 and 2015, I won the Open title at the Westchester Table Tennis Center. Prior to that, I represented the Qatar team at the 2011 Lebanon Open and won the championship. In 2010 and 2011, my team secured 3rd place in Division 1 at the Joola North American Teams Championships. Also, I won over Bastian Steger of Germany and Fedor Kuzmin of Russia at the 2006 German Open. 

9. Who is your all-time favorite table tennis player? Why?
I like Joo Se Hyuk of South Korea. He is currently 13th in the world, but at his peak, he reached the top 5 mark. He is an amazing chopper with a very strong forehand.

Now on to some off-topic questions ...

10. What do you like most about living in the U.S. and what is the hardest part of living here?
I like the fresh air in the U.S. The hardest part of living here is definitely the language barrier.

11. Do you like to watch or play any other sports?
I love to play soccer and read books in my spare time.

********************

Wei, thanks for your time. Also, a big thanks to Mrs. Xiao Chu for translating Wei's answers.