Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sameh Awadallah (NY, USA)

Quick facts about Sameh Awadallah: 
Top 20 in USA for Men over 30
Former Egyptian National Team member

********************
Sameh Awadallah (former Egyptian National Team Member)
Photo: Henry Lee

1. How often do you train?
I train for at least 4 hours per day.

2. I know you also coach. When did you start coaching and tell us about your coaching style?
I started coaching about 5 years ago. The most important thing for me is footwork. Table tennis has become much faster than before, so players need to attack fast. I mean counter attack everything. That's my style when I coach. As you may know, I currently coach the Alguetti Brothers. Just in the last three months, they have started beating a lot of players that are higher rated than them.

3. What qualities do you most admire in a student?
I like students who like table tennis. Actually, I like students who love table tennis. Someone like you. I don't care how old they are because I didn't start playing until I was 21 years old.

4. What makes a good table tennis player - talent or hardwork?
Both. 50-50. If you have talent, you will definitely improve faster. If you practice really hard, there is no reason for you not to be in the top players in the world.

5. Can you suggest a fitness regimen for table tennis players to adopt outside of the club?
I told you that footwork is very important especially for higher players. When I train the Alguetti Brothers, I work with them on fitness plus footwork especially designed for table tennis, for at least one hour.

6. Is there one match that you remember the most? Where, when, and against whom?
I remember one match in Egypt, about 6 years ago against #1 from Africa. I was down 0-2, and I came back to win 3-2. Also, at 2013 Joola Teams, I was down 0-2 against #1 women's player from Vietnam (Hoang My Trang Mai), but went on to win the match.

7. Honors, titles, and awards that you have won in table tennis.
I was #3 in Egypt and I took #1 in Doubles many times in Egypt. The club that I played for was #3 in the Egypt League. Here in the USA ... In 2013, I took #2 place in Division 1 at the Butterfly Teams with Dan Seemiller, Mark Hazinski, and Mark Nordby. In 2012, I took #2 place in Division 1 at the Butterfly Teams with Michael Landers, Mark Hazinski, and Mark Croitoroo.

8. What are your future goals with regards to table tennis?
My goal is to create strong players in the USA.

9. What do you like to do when you are not playing or coaching table tennis?
I like to play table tennis :-)

********************