Friday, February 19, 2016

Kokou Dodji Fanny (Togo)

Over the past several months, Westchester TTC has been home to 3 top players from Africa. Amongst them is 28 year old Kokou Dodji Fanny, the #1 player from Togo in West Africa. Even though Kokou only started playing table tennis in his teens, he won the Bronze medal at the 2012 African Championships held in Cairo, Egypt.

Since his arrival in December 2015, Kokou has integrated into the club very well, learning from some of Westchester's top players and coaching others at the same time. I had the opportunity to ask Kokou a few questions. I hope you enjoy getting to know him!

Quick facts about Kokou Dodji Fanny:
USATT Rating 2430
#1 player from Togo, Africa
Togo National Team Member (2000 - Present)
2012 African Championships - Bronze medalist

********************
Kokou Dodji Fanny, #1 player from Togo, Africa
With Kokou Fanny at Westchester TTC

1. Is this your first time here in the U.S.?
Yes, it is my first time in the USA.

2. What brought you here and how do you like what you have seen so far in terms of table tennis in the U.S.?
I came here to explore new table tennis opportunities. I didn't know that table tennis was popular in the U.S so I'm pleasantly surprised with what I am seeing in terms of level. There are many good players around especially in Pleasantville at Westchester TTC: Kai Zhang, Robert Roberts, Hanwei Wang, Josh, the Alguetti brothers, and you. Everyone is very friendly and I like it here. And of course, I want to mention Head Coach Rawle Alleyne and club owner Will Shortz. They have made me feel very welcome.

3. How did you find out about his club?
I heard about Westchester TTC from a friend and I decided to come.

4. I know that soccer is the most popular sport in Togo. Tell us how you got started with table tennis.
I was a soccer and baseball player. In fact, I was on the national team for baseball. I used to play soccer with Togo's international table tennis player Agbetoglo Mawussi who now lives in France and plays for Nantes TTC. One day I followed him to the table tennis hall and I fell in love with the game. I really liked the individual nature of the sport, so I switched to table tennis at the age of 16.

5. What equipment do you use?
Blade: Butterfly Primorac
Forehand rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 64
Backhand rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

6. How often do you play and train?
In Togo, I touch the ball 6 days a week, but I seriously train twice a week.

7. Do you coach in Togo? When did you start coaching? Tell us about your coaching career.
Yes, I do coach in Togo. I started coaching my teammate in 2012 before I got my ITTF license as a level 1 coach.

8. What do you enjoy more - coaching or playing? Why?
I started table tennis very late. I know I can't be in the top 200 in the world, so I enjoy coaching over playing because I still have the opportunity to make champions!

9. What are your goals with regards to table tennis?
I would like to make table tennis as popular as soccer in the world.

10. Tell us about the structure of competitive table tennis in Africa.
Every country in Africa has its own structure. In Africa, opportunities are very limited for small countries such as Togo, Benin, Niger, and Mali. The best opportunities are only available to the big and rich countries such as Nigeria, Egypt, Congo-Brazza, and Algeria. They spend a lot more money and therefore, have better facilities and more coaches. Players from those countries even draw salaries so they can focus on table tennis.

11. What is the biggest tournament that you have played in?
It would have to be the 2013 World Table Tennis Championships held in Paris, France.

12. What is the most memorable match that you have ever played? Why?
I reached the top 16 at the 2014 Africa Cup. I lost 4-3 to Saheed Idowu of Congo-Brazza in a tight match. If I had won that match, I would have placed in the top 8 for the year.

13. Who is your favorite international table tennis player? Why?
Jan Ove Waldner. He is undoubtedly a legend who plays a creative and balanced style.

14. What do you like to do when you are not playing or coaching table tennis?
I like to listen to music, swim, and play soccer and baseball. I also enjoy spending time with friends.

15. What is your favorite American food?
Burger with french fries.

16. For someone who has never visited Togo before, how would you describe the country?
Togo is close to Ghana and is located in West Africa. It is a peaceful country with a comfortable, tropical climate. I think it is a nice tourist location and I would encourage Americans to visit and explore Togo.

********************

Kokou, thanks very much for your time!