Thursday, July 16, 2015

Filip Szymanski (Poland)

About two weeks ago, Westchester TTC hosted a very special guest, 31 year old Filip Syzmanski originally from Gdansk, Poland. Filip has been on the Polish National Team since 2005 and has played in the Pogon Lebork Polish Super League since August 2014. This upcoming season he plans to represent two clubs, BTK Osterlens Sweden Super League and France pro B Ttc Bayard Argentan.

A world top 200 ranked player, Filip has trained at the German National Training Center in Dusseldorf, Germany for the last 6 years. At Dusseldorf, Filip trained hard to serve as a training partner for some big names including Ovtcharov, Steger, Baum, Suss, Hilcher, Kamal, Tokic, Heiter, Keen, Takakiwa, Mizutani, Kishikawa, and Boll.

Filip is touring the U.S. and Canada to compete in several tournaments including the Westchester July Open and the 2015 U.S. Open. After that, he is traveling to Toronto to help the Canadian Team prepare for the upcoming Pan Am Games.

Filip is an incredibly humble person in spite of his many achievements. Filip flew in late Thursday night and was scheduled to run group training sessions at the club on Friday night. However, I was leaving for vacation the same day. Filip especially came over to the club on Friday morning to meet me and to practice with me. It was an honor to have this opportunity! I hope all of you enjoy getting to know Filip Syzmanski!

Quick facts about Filip Szymanski:
Highest USATT rating 2700
Highest world ranking - #208 for Men
Polish National Team Member (2005 - 2015)
2015 U.S. Open Gold Medalist - Over 30
2013 U.S. Open Gold Medalist - Doubles and Mixed Doubles
2012 U.S. Open Bronze Medalist - Men's Singles

********************
Filip Syzmanski (Polish National Team Member)
With Filip Syzmanski at Westchester TTC

1. Please share your table tennis journey with us.
I first started playing table tennis with my dad. Then at the age of 15, I happened to go for a school competition. At the tournament, a coach noticed that I had some talent and asked me if I wanted to train with his group. I started practicing with them and liked it very much. I practiced a lot during every school break. I was lucky because one of my friends in class was a table tennis player. After finishing University, I moved to Germany for training. After that I played in France for a year and then in Germany again for a year. After my son was born 2 years ago, my wife and I decided to come back to Poland.

2. What equipment do you currently use?
Blade: Tibhar Force
Forehand rubber: Tenergy 05
Backhand rubber: Tenergy 05

3. Where do you currently train and how often?
I currently train every morning at the Bogoria Grodzisk Club with the Polish National Team (Gorak, Floras, Fertikowski, Kosowski) and sometimes with Baggaley and Oh Sang Eun. In addition, two evenings a week I do multiball, and two other evenings I do fitness training.

4. What are your short-term and long-term goals with regards to table tennis?
I would like to win the National Polish Championship Singles event and be in the top 100 table tennis players in the world for men.

5. In your opinion, what has been the highlight of your career so far?
I would say beating Hou Yingchao when he was top 20 in the world at the 2008 Belarus Open and also, beating the duo of Hou Yingchao/Xu Xin in Doubles at the same event. (Filip was ranked no. 306 on the ITTF Men's Ranking at that time). I have also beat Kamal, Karakasevic, Crisan, Cioti, Mattenet, and Keen. This season I beat Blaszczyk, Horejsi, and Grigoryev.

6. I believe you also coach. Which do you enjoy more - coaching or playing?
I like to coach because it gives me a different view of the game. Sometimes I cannot see some things as a player, but when I'm sitting as a coach, I can see more tactical aspects of the game and focus on technical skills. It is quite interesting, but I still prefer to be a player.

7. Who is your favorite international table tennis player, from past or present? Why?
I like Zoran Primorac because he is a fighter and is a hard worker. I also admire Ovtcharov because he is extremely hard working.

8. Couple of rapid fire questions:
Champions born or champions made? Champions are made
21 point games or 11 point games? 11 makes it more interesting
Poly ball or celluloid ball? Celluloid
More drills or more matches? Matches
To cho, or not to cho? Cho

9. What do you like to do when you are not playing table tennis?
Spending time with my family, traveling, listening to music, and playing soccer and tennis.

********************
Filip thanks for your time. It was great to speak to you and learn from you and I look forward to your visit in the future.