Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Yuxiang (James) Jin (China)

As a part of its commitment to improving the level of play in the U.S., the Lily Yip Table Tennis Center (LYTTC) regularly brings in training partners from all over the world. One such player/coach is 16 year old Yuxiang (James) Jin from the DongYang Zhejiang province in China.

James first came to the U.S. in 2014 to compete in the U.S. Open. He finished third in the under 15 category. The following year, he returned as part of a cultural exchange program and trained with the U.S. National Cadet Team at LYTTC. Then, last year, U.S. Olympic Coach Lily Yip invited James once again to train the U.S. Women's Olympic Team to play against choppers. With a limited number of high-level choppers in the U.S., James' help was an important part of preparing for Rio. After the Olympics, James returned to LYTTC in October and now hopes to represent the U.S. in international tournaments in the near future. 


I had the opportunity to ask James a few questions. I hope you enjoy getting to know him!


Quick facts about Yuxiang (James) Jin:
Highest USATT rating 2543
2016 Butterfly Teams Division 1 Champion
2016 Canada Open - 2nd Place
U.S. Open Junior Boys Teams - 3rd Place (2014 and 2016)
2014 U.S. Open - Under 15 - 3rd Place

********************
Yuxiang (James) Jin 
Photo: Henry Lee
Yuxiang Jin (left) at the 2016 Canada Open

1. Tell us about how you got started with table tennis.
I started playing table tennis at the age of seven. My mother wanted me to play a sport to stay fit, so I chose table tennis. I played at Chen Jian and Ma Miao Nam's club. Our club is in the Chinese Super League with lot of top world class players like Ma Long, Ma Lin, Timo Boll, and Joo Se-Hyuk.

2. What equipment do you currently use?
Blade: Butterfly Joo Se-Hyuk 
Forehand rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 05
Backhand rubber: Tibhar Grass Dtecs

3. What are your goals with regards to table tennis?

Right now, I want to keep playing at my level and help young table tennis players improve. My long-term goal would be to eventually go to a good college. 

4. What do you like about chopping? Have you always been a chopper?

Chopping is a special style in table tennis; you don't need to spend too much energy when you play, if you only want to play for fun. When I started playing, I wasn't a chopper, but my backhand was weak. However, I had pretty good stamina, so I decided to change to a chopper.
  
5. Do you prefer to coach or play?

I would say both because I can learn doing both. 

6. Do you have an on-table rivalry?
Of course, his name is Zhu JiaJun. He is trying to be selected to the Chinese national team.

7. Do you have any favorite tournament to play in? Why?
My favorite tournament is the U.S. Open. It attracts so many great players from around the world,  and the overall atmosphere is great.

8. Who is your favorite international table tennis player? Why?

Joo Se-Hyuk - he is the best chopper in the world!

9. What do you like to do in your free time? 
I like to watch NBA, and sometimes, I play soccer. I also like to read fiction and play video games to relax. 

10. Anything else that you would like to add?
I hope that more people start playing table tennis. It is a wonderful sport!

********************
James, thanks for your time, and good luck in your table tennis endeavors!